Monday 25 April 2016

The Jungle Book (1976 vs 2016 film). Spoiler-free Review

Disclaimer: This review is going to be ultimately biased and unprofessional. I do not hold any film related degree or work in the industry. I am just someone who watch a film or two occasionally and casually.

Fret not! This is a spoiler-free review for the film "The Jungle Book". You can watch the trailer here:





I pretty much grew up with Disney so I must admit I tend to have stronger affection towards Disney productions. Until today, I could not help myself to not watch a Disney film. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I know I am very likely to do so. The whole Pixar/Disney thingy is way too complicated for a non-movie buff like me. As long as there is a Disney castle intro scene at the very beginning of the film, I'll consider it as a "Disney film". Sadly, I'm ignorant like that. Please don't get mad at me yeah?

For some of you who may not know about it, there was actually an animated version back in year 1976. I probably watched it from one of those VHS tape in early 1990's.

In case you don't know what's a VHS tape:



Where were we? Oh yeah, The Jungle Book (1976), inspired by Rudyard Kipling's book of the same title. The thing about Disney...The music never fail to get into me. Funny thing is, I have always thought it's "Bear Necessities" instead of the actual "Bare Necessities". Silly me indeed. Since it's Baloo the bear who sang the song, you can't really blame the 5 years old me to think like that, right? 

You could imagine how teary I got when the same song is featured in this film. "The Jungle Book" (2016 film) to me is like walking down the memory lane. It feels like I'm still sitting on the floor in that old living room, singing along with these old friends.... good times, good vibes.

Set that aside, the Jungle Book (2016 film) is a great film that has the whole package. 

Kudos to the boy who played Mowgli. Since when all the kids become so talented? 

Voice acting is more than on point. Almost got hypnothised by Kaa; Shere Khan made me search for the nearest exit; I would definitely pay more attention if Bagheera and Raksha were my lecturers. 

The visuals are very very appealing. I did not watch enough films to say this so let's just say it reminded me of  "Life of Pi". 

Music? Sound effect? What are you talking about? It's a no-brainer. It's DISNEY. 


Generally speaking, "The Jungle Book" 2016 film/life action/however you wish to call it,  is fun, adrenaline-rushing, nostalgic and absorbing. Grab your ticket and popcorn. You don't want to miss out one of the best films in 2016. I'm just saying. 


Icing on the cake:

1.

                The battle of "Bare necessities



2.  
1976 vs 2016


Finishing off this irresponsible review with Law of the Jungle:

"Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky, And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.

As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk, the law runneth forward and back, For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack." 


p/s: Anyone still remember Little Golden Books? 

Used to have something similar.... I wondered where did my whole collection go?


No comments:

Post a Comment